News & Events / Only One Earth – World Environment day 2022 @Malleswaram
Art & Performing Arts
The environment is where we all meet, where we all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share – Lady Bird Johnson
The theme for World Environment Day in 2022 is ‘Only One Earth.’ It highlights the need to live sustainably in harmony with nature by bringing transformative changes towards a cleaner, greener lifestyle.
The staff and the students of The Brigade School, Malleswaram, celebrated World Environment Day with an earnest endeavour to conserve the environment.
Students discussed the necessity of environmental conservation, the protection of the ozone layer, the sustainability of food chains for animals and humans, the preservation of drinking water, and the proper use of non-renewable resources. They discussed food and water shortage and pollution as the most challenging issues in Bengaluru. Some of the concerns were overpopulation leading to water shortages, the excessive use of vehicles, and unscientific waste management methods which resulted in relentless pollution.
Students sang the song, ‘One Earth’, a composition by Brooke A. Leifer. It is a song which creates awareness of the problems on planet Earth and the ways that we, as conscientious citizens, can pitch in to keep our planet clean and healthy.
Students discussed life systems on Earth based on the harmonious functioning of the five elements — earth, sky, air, water, and fire. They also spoke of how our ancient Indian scriptures have advocated sustainable use of these natural elements to keep our environment pure and clean.
The students suggested measures to conserve the environment:
- Follow 3R’s – reduce, reuse, recycle, and decrease plastic consumption
- Conserve water – close taps when not in use and shorten your shower by a few minutes
- Plant trees as, “We can’t stop breathing but we can change and purify the quality of the air we breathe.”
- Walk to your school or use carpools
- Save electricity – use energy-efficient light bulbs and turn off the lights when you leave the room
- Upcycle more – get creative with your unwanted items by upcycling to turn trash into treasure
- Reduce paper consumption or go paperless
A dance on the significance of preserving the Earth’s resources for future generations enhanced the day’s celebrations!
World Environment Day is not just a celebration but also a reminder to take care of our surroundings by conserving the environment.